Saturday, January 7, 2012

Race For The Grasshopper

Today I volunteered at my first race. It was at the Cowpens Battleground, called The Race for the Grasshopper. It is a celebration of the end of the battle there where 2 American soldiers raced to get a cannon (grasshopper) after the battle. This was the 237th celebration.


It was a different experience being at a race and not being there to run. I was itching to "toe the line." I had a great time though. I had several jobs: I got there early enough to help set up, I passed out the race bibs and tech tshirts at registration, then I stood out on the course almost at mile 3 to point the runners in the right direction. It was a lot of fun to be able to check people in and then go cheer them on. Cheering for people is a lot if fun and it lifts you up while you are doing it. If you ever want to have a great morning, look for a local race and sign up to help. Trust me, you won't leave empty.


While you are volunteering you never know who you'll run into. One of my best friends ran the race and I got to cheer for her as she rounded towards home. Great job Molly!!!


After the race, the race the 70 January weather called to me to do some of my own running, so I headed downtown and pounded out 12 miles of my own. The run was awesome and it ended with my usual Waffle House feast: waffle, sausage, grits, eggs, and wheat toast. It was completely inhaled in about 5 minutes. Hope your Saturday was as great as mine.

No comments: