Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Attitude

When most people hear the word attitude they probably think negative thoughts. I can immediately think of 3 sayings that people use on a regular basis that cast a negative light on the word attitude.

1. Lose the attitude!

2. Don't get an attitude with me!

3. He/She's gotta tude!

Unfortunately I have heard all those said to me at some point in time. All of them are anything but flattering for the word attitude or the receiver of the quote. They make it sound like if you have an "attitude" that you are just short of the plague and you deserve to be banished from creation...Ok, maybe not that bad, but negative vibes are implied.

Today however, I am writing this blog in hopes to give a public face lift to the word attitude. I want people to look others and say. "Get his attitude!" "Give me more of that attitude!" "I want an attitude like his!" I want people to have such a contagiously GREAT attitude that all of the negative vibes with that word turn into chaff and get blown away! I don't want to apologize for it, I don't want have to defend myself, I just want to ooze a POSITIVE attitude. The world is so full of junk and badness why can't I, right here on "Dearybury of a Day" lead the change? When I started this whole blog it was to make people laugh and encourage them. How better to do that than with a positive, contagious attitude?

Have you read this book? This is what started all this attitude talk. (Remember now, that word attitude is not bad. :o) I had to lead a faculty book talk about it. I rarely read as you frequent blog guests know, but something about this book got a hold of me. It changed my perspective on attitude. I read it in an hour, so you are probably able to finish in 30 minutes. I highly recommend it.


Not long after I led the book talk I met this guy, Ron Clark, who started one of the MOST AMAZING schools ever. Talk about a contagious POSITIVE attitude. Google him right now... No, YouTube it first, then Google! You will be changed, inspired, and want to start a school!


As if these 2 things did not impact me enough, my principal has gone nuts with helping us have a positive attitude. She has plastered quotes about good attitudes all over the building. Here are 2 of my favorites.

1. "Take charge of your attitude. Don't let someone else choose it for you."

2. "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort!"

As of today, I am taking charge, and hopefully it won't annoy you. But, if it does, get over it and get a hold of it!

Ultimately though, this is my motivation...

"Your attitude should be the same as that of Jesus."
Philippians 2:5

Am I annoying you yet? I hope so!

No comments: