Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Black Belt

Ok... enough about me and my marathon. Let me brag like a proud dad for a second. Last week I got a text from one of my very first students, Jamie, inviting me to watch as he went for his 1st degree black belt in Karate. I was so proud that he asked me to come. I went tonight and saw as he sparred, split wood, and did all kinds of crazy karate moves. At the end, he had earned his belt. It was awesome to be there for him. I wish I could be there more, but it just doesn't always work out. Nonetheless, I was there tonight, and I was VERY PROUD!


He and I have kept in touch over the years. I have had the privilege of watching him be baptized. I saw him perform in his first band concert. I have been to see him march in band competitions a few times, and been to quite a few birthday parties over the years. If there was ever a kid that was my favorite, this is him. Shhhh, I know we are not supposed to have favorites, but he has been long gone from my classroom. I cannot believe it, but he is starting high school next year.

After I got home he sent me a text thanking me for coming... I asked him if he was trying to make me cry. He responded, "No, but the day I graduate, I think we will both be crying!" I cannot wait to be there that day!

No comments: