Wednesday, December 1, 2010

25 Days of Christmas-1

I cannot blog about Christmas for 25 days and not start with this picture. After all, this is what it's all about right? As we venture through all of the fun and excitement of the next 3 weeks, let's not forget this picture right here.

I know it is no where near correct... I mean seriously, they are all so pale they look like they look like they came from a planet without a sun, and the white clothes make them look even lighter. I realize they are all of Middle Eastern descent, but this was the only manger scene I could afford my first year on my own. I got it for 5 bucks at the Dollar General. I liked it then, but I like it even more now because it fits just perfect on the top of a little "knick knack" shelf my great grandma Maudie left to me when she died.


Can you imagine what it must have been like to actually be there that night? I am sure it was a worship time, but probably no where close to what any of us imagine. I am sure the animals stunk. It was a bit chilly I am sure, but not a white Christmas like we all dream of. According to the weather channel, the low this morning in Bethlehem is about 50. That's hardly snow weather. I am confident the manger did not have icicle lights, and I am sure no one was sipping on eggnog.

The shepherds and wise men didn't come til days, even weeks later. It was just Mary, Joseph, and this miracle baby from a virgin womb. The worship they offered that night was probably more in the form of prayer after prayer of, "Ok, now what Lord... We trust you because you are the faithful, almighty God, who created the universe... but now what?"

I am amazed at the faithfulness and trust these two had. Do you ever wonder what you would have done if an angel appeared to you and told you the things that were told to Mary and Joseph? I am sure they never had an inkling of an idea that what happened to them that night would have turned into what it is today.

Yes... It is a spectacle. Yes... It has become so commercial. Yes... People have tried to make it a 1,000 things its not. But, at the end of the 25 days, its all about Him!

Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

Lacy said...

I paid a quarter for our nativity scene. You need a magnifying glass to see baby Jesus in his little cardboard manger. Thanks for the reminder of how miraculous this season is!