Sunday, October 3, 2010

It's More Than "Just A Box"

Today I was the guest speaker at a church in Greenville. Their entire service was dedicated to Operation Christmas Child, and their childrens' minister asked me to come deliver a message to motivate them to get in more shoe boxes. I was SOOOOO excited to do so, because next to teaching, OCC is my second love in life.

The title of my message this morning was "It was more than a manger...It's more than a box." It was a great message to challenge and inspire more boxes.

I compared the manger, a mere food trough, with no significant importance to everyday folks, to the shoebox filled with what seems to be insignificant toys.

The manger while simply a food trough, was filled with a tiny baby who brought joy, hope, and eternal life into our world. Although it seemed insignificant in its self, the manger became the birth bed of a Savior. It was so much more than a manger.

The shoebox, while seemingly just a box filled with "junky" toys, can bring joy, hope, and possibly eternal life to children all over the world... It's more than just a box!

If you don't pack shoeboxes for OCC, let me encourage you to find a box, fill it full of goodies, and turn it in to a local church who collects them. If you want to know more about how to do this, just ask me. I'll be happy to help!

National Collection Week: November 15-19!

No comments: