Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Coach Jed

As if I didn't have enough going on, I signed up at church to coach Upward Soccer this season. I know you probably just about wet yourself or fell out of your seating apparatus as you read the word coach in reference to me, but it is indeed a true statement.

This is actually my 4th season as an Upward coach. I did football for a year and then this is my 3rd year of soccer. I must admit that I am a bit better now, than when I started, but I am no where near what I need to be. My practices are on Tuesdays and our games are on Saturdays for the next 6 weeks. The time commitment is really only 2 hours plus maybe 30-45 minutes prep time throughout the week. It is like anything else you do...hard getting there sometimes, but so much fun and totally worth it when you do.

Upward Soccer is not all about the sport. There is a lot of focus on teamwork, sportsmanship, leadership, and there is a time of Bible Study at each practice. The devotion times are great. Its just you, the kids, and the field. Tonight we were all freezing during devotion because of the wind, but other than that we had a great time learning about Jesus and Soccer!

Tonight as I coached, these are a couple of thoughts that ran through my head.

1. If I can do this, anybody can.

2. Wonder if the kids can tell I am nervous?

3. These kids are hanging on my every word. Make sure to use the right ones!

4. Game day is Saturday. I hope they remember which way to run!!!

5. During the devotion time, the lesson was about listening to the Lord and following Him when we don't know what to do... How fitting that the whole practice I was constantly saying, "Lord, I don't know what I am doing!"

Wish us luck! Go Fighting Irish!!!

No comments: