Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Sick Day

For the first time ever I took a sick day to care for someone else's sickness. My niece Taylor was staying with me last night while her parents were out of town. The plan wad to get her to school this morning, but that never happened. As soon as I went to wake her this morning, I could feel the heat coming off of her. The fever was 102.

Calling in sick is not that easy for teachers. We have a lot we are responsible for over the course of the day. I got my plans together and emailed them to school. Ok, I am home to care got her... Now what? Here are a few things I learned today while I had my first sick day caring for a little one.

1. Always know where your thermometer is. 6:15am is no time to be playing hide and seek with a thermometer.

2. Keep juice in the fridge. Milk is not good for sick folks with stomach troubles. Water was the only other option.

3. Prepare for Spongebob, Rugrats, and Dora overload!!! There are only 2 options... Nickelodeon and Disney.

4. Keep other kids away from the sickly one. Not so they don't get sick, but so they don't drive the sickly one crazy. Sophie was here too. I should have sent her on to daycare. That's a whole other blog.

5. Take a nap when they are sleeping. They are gonna run you to death as soon as they wake up!!

Now that I am educated in the routine of a sick day as caretaker, I'll be ready next time!


Posted from BB's iPhone!

No comments: