Sunday, February 20, 2011

Amazing G"Race"

I am so excited about watching the first episode of the Amazing Race this season. It is such a cool TV show to me for many reasons, but mainly because of all the cool places and things the contestants get to do. It truly is amazing!!! Tonight as they sailed in front of the Sydney Opera House I was so envious of the sights, sounds, and smells they were getting to experience.

The contestants this particular season have all had the opportunity to be on the show before, but for whatever reason they lost. Some of them made mistakes, while some of them were just out played. Some of them literally loss their previous races by a matter of seconds.

I cannot imagine losing on national TV. It stinks to lose! Who likes it? I cant think of anyone that likes to come in last place, or even second for that matter. There is a sting of disappointment for all of us who have ever experienced it.

The important thing about losing though is to not let it weigh in on the character of who you are. As I watched some of the people talk about their mistakes in the previous races they participated in, they seemed so hard on themselves. I think it is our human nature to beat ourselves up when we lose, but a the true character of man is not measured in wins, but how he picks himself up after a loss, and continues to do his best.

I have lost so many times I cannot even tell you them all. My science fair projects never won. I was never elected to student council. It always seemed we came in 2nd place at every band competition. I have applied for 3 times as many teaching grants than I ever actually was awarded. Just last week I came in 2nd place for Teacher of the Year...out of 2. I could beat myself up about these "losses," but instead I pick myself up and keep going. I always did a science fair project. I always ran for student council. I kept competing with the band, and I will continue writing grants and being the best teacher I can be!

As I watched the show tonight, I couldn't help but think about God's Amazing G"race". Just as these contestants were given a 2nd chance to make up for their mistakes, failures, and losses, God gives us brand new chances (mercies, grace, forgiveness) every morning to fix our mistakes, to learn from our failures, and to win at this race called life.

Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:12-14

No comments: