Sunday, January 16, 2011

Something New Everyday!

The other day I blogged about Words With Friends. It is basically a Scrabble app on my phone where I can play with friends from all around. Over the last few weeks I have learned quite a bit from my friends, and their creative spelling that turns out to actually be a word. Being an educator, I feel it my duty to share these with you so can consider yourself just a tad smarter today!

1. Sprat- This is a Herring like fish found in the Northern Atlantic and Baltic Sea... I just thought it was Jack's last name... Some of y'all will get that.
2. Bohea- a black tea from China.


3. Quid- Slang for a British Pound


4. Qat- this is a plant found in Yemen and Ethiopia and it has "drug like" effects on your body. According to the website I found it on, chewing the leaves provides a euphoric rush similar to that of a high dose of caffeine. It is a very popular crop, similar to coffee, and very expensive... about 10 dollars a pound.


5. Halma- a board game from the Old English days in which players try to move all their pawns into their opponents corners.


6. Porgy- This is the name of family of fish found throughout the world. There are over 100 different types of porgies worldwide!


I guess it's true what they say, you learn something new...everyday!

No comments: