Saturday, January 15, 2011

Be Anxious For Nothing???

Anyone who has grown up anywhere near the church has surely heard the words, "Be anxious for nothing," at least a hundred times. Lord knows I have heard that verse so many times... graduations, mission trips, new jobs, hard financial times, etc.

The verse is found in the book of Philippians, Chapter 4, Verse 6. It is a great reminder to all of us not to worry about anything, but to pray about whatever is worrying us instead. Coming from someone who is anxious about a few things right now, that is easier said than done. It is hard not to be anxious and worry about things; especially big things like sickness, loss of a loved one, finances, relationships, etc.

I know people who have this part of life whipped. They don't worry about anything. Nothing bothers them, nothing gets them upset, nothing seems to cause them to get in a tizzy about anything... They are just in a constant state of chilled out. My roommate is like that. I wish I could be more like that. I constantly let my mind wonder about the dreaded, "what if???"

As I read over that verse today though, I read a sentence that was just before the famous phrase of "be anxious for nothing" that seems to be tagged on to the end of verse 5 that I had never seen before. I know that it is gonna help me to erase the worry of "what if" from my brain.....

It simply says, "the Lord is near." Why should I worry when the Creator of the universe is right beside me. Since He is there, there is really no need to be anxious.

No comments: