Friday, November 5, 2010

Proud to Be An American

Next week is the annual 2nd grade Veteran's Day Program at school. We have been practicing like mad, trying to get all the parts learned, sons memorized, etc. Sometimes in the whole "busy"ness of getting ready for the program I fail to get the whole point. Today it hit me like a ton of bricks all because of one tender-hearted student.

We were practicing the song God Bless America. We sing it as a tribute to Irving Berlin who was a veteran of WWI. During the song, I noticed one of my students crying. At first I ignored it because this particular student sometimes cries over where they stand in line. After another verse of the song the tears were flowing pretty heavily down the cheeks so I figured I better check it out.

I walked over to him and put my hand on his shoulder and asked what was wrong. With tears flowing down his cheeks like a river, he replied,

"This song just makes my heart fill good... I'm just so proud to be American."

Needless to say I became an instant mess. We cried for the next 3 songs. It is moments like these that make every second of work on a program like this worth it. I am honored to be in the classroom passing on the great honor and heritage of our country. God Bless America!

No comments: