As I have been running since March a lot of people have started to ask my tips on how they can get started. I am quick to tell them that I am not an expert, but I attempt to give them some tips that have helped me over the past 9 months. What I also tell them, "It ain't easy!"
When you start running 9-10 miles a day, people just assume that you are a natural runner and that it comes easy to you. I am here to say that there is not anything easy about 10 miles. Almost every time I run, while I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT, I have to go through this whole mental pep talk and overcome the battle. Here is a list of just a few things that I have to overcome as I run.
1. TIRED... I get tired... sometimes I start getting really tired at mile 4, and I have to push all the way to the end.
2. Sore... Even after all the months of running, sometimes when I finish I am hurting in my shins and feet. They don't call it a work out because for nothing!!!
3. Quitting in the middle... I almost every time I make the 5 mile turn and I see my car, I have to tell myself... Keep going, Keep going!!! Not one time since March have I quit the distance I set out to do, but that doesn't mean I don't have to give myself a pep talk right smack in the middle of my run.
4. Blisters... I cannot believe that I am still getting blisters... I thought my feet would have calloused up by now, but I guess not. I got one just today! I think it was because I stepped in a puddle though. It was kinda wet today.
5. Bored... I get bored sometimes. My iPod gets a bit repetitive at times. Most of the time my mind is thinking of all the stuff I have to do when I get done, and I often think of some good blogs, but sometimes, I am just ready to be done.
I share all this because I know that there are people out there who think that they are the only ones who face any of the dilemmas while running, working out, or just in daily life... The point, DON'T GIVE UP! Push through whatever you are in the middle and finish!!! You will be so glad when you do!