Thursday, August 5, 2010

August 5th, 1912

This day might not mean a thing to you, but to me, it will always be a special day. It was the day my Great Grandma Maudie was born. If you have been a faithful reader here then you know she is no longer with us, but I still feel drawn to remember her on this day. Last year on the anniversary of her death, I wrote this blog to her. I miss her something awful on days like today.

One of the last pictures I have with she and I together was at her 90th birthday party. Hard to believe it was 8 years ago when I look at this pic. It is hanging in my kitchen in a matted frame with a hand written recipe that she sent to me while I was in college. I would not take 10 million dollars for it!!!!! Of course Maudie would tell me I was crazy and to take the money!!!

You may be asking yourself, "Why does he keep calling his grandma Maudie and not nana, granny, or something like that??" Well, honestly, I was in 5th grade before I realized that Maudie was her name and not a sweet name for a grandmother... That's just what everybody called her. She was so special that no common grandmother name would suit her... Some would say she was so "quare" that no other name would do. (Only a true Southerner will understand that term.)

She was indeed old and set in her ways, but she was my favorite and bestest grandma ever. I loved her so much. I hope heaven is having a big 'ole party for her today!

No comments: