Tuesday, January 5, 2010

IKEA Sofabed

Last week I made a trip to IKEA with my mom and sister... I have been wanting to get a small sofabed for quite some time to put in my front bedroom to use when friends need to stay over. I did not want to spend too much money on it and thought that IKEA would be the perfect place to look. Sofa beds can be quite pricey so I decided that IKEA was the place to buy.

I looked at and sat on every one at the store and decided that this one below was the right one.... Well... I was WRONG! I got the thing home and put it together, and I just did not like it in the space. It looked so small in the store and I just never imagined how big it would be in my room. Of course I measured it, but it just fooled me.

I called that very same night and asked IKEA what was the best way to return it... ALL OVER THERE STORE, there are signs with their return policy saying "It's ok, you can bring it back." Well let me tell you, that they don't really mean that you can get your money back.... Yea you can bring it back but all they will give you for it is a store credit... UNLESS................

It is unused.... I was so excited, because I hadn't used this couch... It was the very same day I got it and I was taking it all the way back to Charlotte the next day.... The RUDE salesman informed me to read their policy closer... It says they will gladly take back any unused item....

Apparently the moment you take it out of the box, it is used.... who knew? I asked the employee on the phone, How in the world can I know what it looks like in my room without taking it out of the box???? He said, very rudely mind you, "That is why we have a display." I asked him, "Sir, does your house look like the display?" DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I asked him to speak to the manager, he said that they were all very busy and I would have to wait, but there was no negotiating. After 15 minutes of waiting, the manager was just as rude.

I have learned my lesson the hard way, and unfortunately had a terrible experience at an otherwise good store. I know they will thrive and be fine without my business, just like Wal-Mart, Garfield's, Atlanta Bread Company, (these experiences will have to be explained on another post.) and all the other places where I have received horrible service, but I do not have to go back...

So, what did I do with the sofabed? I put it on Craigslist and am hoping someone will bite! If you are interested let me know!!! Remember this story for whatever you buy at IKEA


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually I love the couch, it looks quite comfy! I can relate to your frustration, with the "once its out of the box, its used" I had a similiar experience one time before. Its highly frustrating!! Good luck!