Monday, May 4, 2009

Painted Ladies and Tadpoles

Last week I posted a video of the larva of a painted lady butterfly changing into its chrysalis. On Friday we released all of our newly formed butterflies into the wild. There was one with a gimpy wing and he could not get out of his pupa. I told the class I would let him find his own way out so he could make himself stronger.

Later in the day a student and I went back to check on him and sure enough he had gotten out. Only he was helped out by a bird. His wings were there, but no body. I was afraid the student with me would be sad... She said... "O well.. Guess some bird has a full belly now."

Today I went in from the weekend and one of the tadpoles we are raising was floating on the top. It was unfortunate that he was the dead one because he was one of the only ones who had started sprouting tiny legs.

I have no idea what happened... Maybe he was sick from the water... Maybe he was needing air and his gills had gone away.... Maybe he had the swine flu. Who knows??

Regardless of the reason; I had to flush him. Maybe the others will do better. There is a pond in a small courtyard outside of the school... Maybe I will let them all go tomorrow. Wish me luck!

No comments: