Thursday, January 8, 2009

I Heard the "S" Word

No.... not that word.... The other 4-letter word every teacher listens for... SNOW!!! Yep that's right, I heard a guy on the weather channel say that lots of cold air was on the way and that there was a possibility of snow next week for the deep south.

Now, first let me say, that I am well aware that the forecast will change 15 times by then. I am a weather junkie. I wake up every morning to Weather Channel, and usually fall asleep to it as well. I KNOW about weather and how the weathermen change their forecast a lot!!!

Second of all, I realize that snow is not a big deal for some people... especially my "Yankee" friends. However, it is a HUGE deal to me. Not because I may or may not get the day off when it does, but just because I love it.

I love all the fun things you can do in it...

I love how crazy of us "southern folk" get over it...

I love how everyone just stops and enjoys it...

I love how my granny calls to tell me to be careful on the "bad roads" even if it is not sticking.

I love how all the bread and milk disappear...

I love how we all think we need bread and milk...

I love how Johnnie-Lynn calls me while it is falling and sings "Look at all that snow snow."

I love how I get hysterical and jump and dance around when it starts, even if it is just a little bit. Just ask my roommate. He thinks I am crazy!!!
I love how everyone talks about it when it's on the way...when it's here... and after it's gone...

I love how everybody has to get home at the first sign of it...

I love how the weathermen seem to get giddy talking about it...

I love how I get on the phone and call everybody on my contact list to tell them it is snowing... I even call my friend Teri in Utah who probably could really care less if it is snowing in S.C.

I would love to live somewhere like Boone where they get lots of snow, but not too much. I think I would hate it too if I lived in a lake effect snow area like Buffalo or Cleveland. They get like 6 feet at the time if it is really really bad.

All this said, I will now be glued to the TV for the next week to see how the forecast changes, and to see what we may get, if any... Let the anticipation begin!!!

8 comments:

Karen @Snakes-Snails-Puppydogtails said...

I think that "system" is the same one that will make our HIGH 5 degrees!!! I love the snow too!(Although by March it gets pretty old!)

The Rickards Family said...

You can only have snow if we get some here in GA, too. I don't need a whole lot, but enough to cover the ground. And, enough to make at least one bowl of snow cream!!

jlynn said...

I love the snow too. The best part is exploring the roads on the way to Waffle House, then coming back home to make Hot Chocolate, put on a movie and build a tiny snowman. :)

JL

Unknown said...

Yes!! Snow you say. Ask me or Melissa about the snow dance. We may have found a new member but you really have to know the dance. Do You? I haven't heard the "word". Sorry I've got to go to watch the weather channel. Mitchel will hate the next few days.

Teresa

Kelly said...

This is exactly why you live where I do. I'm just far enough north to occasionally get some snow, but far enough south that it's so common they don't cancel school for it just being forecasted!!

Unknown said...

Hey Son!!! YOU KNOW I LOVE THE SNOW ALSO!!! Hadnt heard this yet, but I sure hope it SNOWS and SNOWS. One Huge Snowfall per year or 1 or 2 or 20!!!

Unknown said...

Reporting Live from The Weather Channel I am Jed Dearybury. I know where you gotthe "Weatherman" Syndrome... MAUDIE and ME!!!

Shelley Medley Arrowood said...

I'm glad I am not the only weather junkie in the crowd. I guess people call us "geeks" behind our backs. I get ready for work every morning to the Weather Channel, because the "local on the 8's" tell me how much time I have left to get ready! Yeah, I'm a nerd!

We are in great anticipation of snow in our house as well.... our luck it will snow Friday or Monday when you are already out of school.