Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Day Nineteen: Casper, WY to Denver, CO

Today we left Casper around 7:30 or so and headed south towards Denver..... Here is our official state line pic... There were a couple of other guys who were taking pics there who warned us of a rattlesnake in the bushes behind the sign... I was in a HURRY to take this pic!!!!!

(side note:)I forgot to tell you yesterday that a rock flew up and cracked my windshield.... something to look forward to fixing when I get home... Glad its free with my insurance!!!


We got to Denver around 12 and had some time to kill before the 7 o'clock Rockies game, so we decided to head over to the Denver Zoo... It was a very nice zoo. If you are ever in the are I recommend you stop by... It was only 12 dollars, which is pretty cheap for a day of fun.


The zoo has tons of unique animals, but one that fascinated me the most was this anteater... I had never seen one in person... It was the weirdest looking creature that I have ever seen... The sign at the cage said they can weigh up to 85 pounds and eat up to 30,000 ants and termites a day!!!! It can reach way down in the ground with its long sticky tongue... really fascinating creature....


Matt posing in the rain forest exhibit!!!


Just before the Hippo exhibit we saw this board where you could compare your jumping ability with that of animals... We thought this was the perfect place to do a "blogideo." That's my own made up term for a video on my blog!!! Enjoy!



I love hippos... This was a great hippo exhibit because you could get so close to them... I saw a hippo in the wild when I lived in Africa for a while... It was cool...but here you can really get a good look at them... They were making all kind noise too... I never really thought of a hippo as a noisy creature.


Me posing with the man eating Komodo Dragon!


The giraffes!


Me proving the theory of evolution!!!! (No, I don't believe in evolution!!!!)


Matt posing in a giant ant hill!


After the zoo, we headed over to our hotel.... We had a bit of drama there... The hotel messed up our reservation... So we decided to stay right next door... LONG STORY!!! One, I do not wish to rehash... basically they were putting us in a one bed smoking room... YUCK!

We arrived at the ballpark about an hour before the game... It is a great stadium...Coors Field.. It is right downtown... and very easy to get to.


As soon as we entered the park our stomachs took over...... Please note they tray of ketchup!!!!


At the start of the game it was 88 degrees.... Around the 5th inning a brief rain shower came in and you could see a storm off to the north.... All of sudden the wind took over and trash and dirt started flying every where... You can see the dust in the pic below....

Crazy thing that happened at the game... A Padres player fouled the ball of his nose... He went down immediately... I know it hurt like crazy... You could see the blood... We saw it on the news when we got home tonight and he fractured it!! OUCH!!!


After we sang during the 7th inning stretch we headed up to the top to get some pics of the Denver skyline!!! This looked like a great city at night... Very pretty! This pic almost looks like I photoshopped myself in...but i didn't!


View from the top!


As you know, Denver is known as the "Mile High City"... Near the top of the stadium they have a row of purple seats to denote the actual mile high mark above sea level... Notice the seats behind us... I know we are dorks...but we walked all the way from ground level seats to the tip top just for a pic of the purple seats!!!


View of the stadium from outside!!


Tomorrow we are journeying across the great state of Nebraska... I am prepared for a long, straight, flat ride through a corn field... I'll let you know if I see anything interesting.... Don't forget to comment on yesterday's blog so you can enter the drawing for a "Chicago prize." If you type it as anonymous be sure to include your name!!!!

Day 19 Stats:
Mileage: 278 Miles
Drive Time: 4 hours
Gas: $59.00 dollars in Casper, WY.... $4.09

5 comments:

DADDY said...

Looks like another Great Day. You are gonna turn into a Big Bottle of Ketchup LOL

Kimberly said...

I don't know, Jed, that monkey looks like he could be your brother lol...

Awesome picture of the skyline behind you.

Cassie & I played BINGO again, she won this time...

Erin said...

Sorry to hear about the crack in your window - if it is really bad, you can call your agent and get the number to have it repaired while you are traveling. I have State Farm and have had to have mine replaced once while we were on vacation. You guys sound like you are having an awesome trip!

Anonymous said...

hey brother i love the picture of you& your friend are you the one on the left or right lol i love you miss you mama

Barbara Hoffman said...

Loved the ketchup bowl. :*)Jed you have to hit a kohls on your way home... I saw a shirt in Pennslyvania that was faded red and it said in heinz lettering.."I put ketchup on my ketchup" Of course I thought of you... I haven't checked ours to see if they have it... you have to get it!!
Barb