Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Day Eighteen: West Yellowstone, MT to Casper, WY

At 6:30 this morning Matt and I headed out of Yellowstone.... We left early in hopes of seeing some wildlife, and because we had about 7 hours to drive today... As we were driving we were talking about all the things we saw and didn't see. While we were talking, a song that I have heard a 100 times came on the iPod... "Above All," by Michael W. Smith... Read the lyrics below....

As I heard the song, surrounded by my environment, I wept..... I've been waiting on this... you cannot be surrounded by all of His creation and not have a moment with Him.. I just didn't expect it with this song that I almost skipped over.... It was the line.. "Above all Nature and All Created Things" that got me.... I tried to talk to Matt about it but I couldn't..... Here I was a little minuscule person.... surrounded by 11,000 feet mountains.... and my God...My Savior.... who is a bazillion times bigger than that knows me...and died for me..... He has mountains, geysers, hot springs, and wildlife as His toys, yet He chose to die for me, and desires a relationship with me........ Needless to say I was overwhelmed.


Just moments after my "moment" with the Lord.... He reminded me that He was in charge of all that nature too... I had prayed for 3 days that we would see a grizzly up close.... and out of no where.. He he came right in front of us... across the road and everything.... It was as if the Lord said.... You gave me credit for all of this... now enjoy it!!!! IT WAS AWESOME!!!!!! This pic was about 20 feet away, but he ran literally 10 feet in front of the car before he started eating leaves along the side of the road.... We tried to video it but it was really blurry.


After the bear, the rest of the drive was less than exciting..... You can see our route below... It ended up taking almost 8 hrs.  because there was no interstate route and there was tons of construction....


We were surprised that for a long way of the 8hrs. we saw scenes like the 2 below.... July 1st, and snow everywhere!!!! These 2 pics don't do it justice... There were fields and fields that had snow... Back home this would have been enough to close school!



The rest of the drive was filled with little towns like this one... Check out the population... 44 People... We passed another one that had 10 people but there was no place to pull off!!! 2 towns that were named had no people... just old abandoned buildings.... More than once I asked Matt if we were in the twilight zone...


Our cell phones are still without a signal... We had one briefly today and of course my mom didn't answer!!!! Hopefully as we make it towards Denver tomorrow we will get back in touch with the phones.... Tomorrow night we are headed to a Rockies game... and then on the 3rd and 4th we will be making our way towards Chicago.... 

Due to the GINORMOUS support for the "Yellowstone Prize," I have decided to do a "Chicago Prize." You guys have been such great readers I thought you deserved it. Start registering now and the cut off will be July 4th..... Only one entry per name... Be sure to put where you are from if I don't know you... Good luck!!! Maybe I can get 30 comments on one entry... that was a number I once thought impossible.... but I have faith!!!!!

Day 18 Stats:
Mileage: 35o miles
Drive Time: 8hrs ( the speed limit is only 45 in the national parks!!!!)
Gas: $59 in Riverton, WY.... $4.09 a gallon  

34 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes! I am the first! your sprinklers are on...haha...it is a good thing too because we have had no rain since last Sunday...your neighbors to the left had to foreclose...so be thinking about them...anyway just wanted to keep you up to date. i hope you guys have a happy and fun 4th and get to see some fireworks somewhere. I can't wait to see the Chicago item...LOL
Angie

Cluuccy said...

A grizzly...amazing! Another song came to my mind as I was reading your blog...How Great Is Our God!!! There are just to many songs out there....Our God Is An Awesome God...I just wanted to post because I'm still holding out for a prize...maybe a deck of cards or I will even take a magnet. Happy trails to you!

jkstrib said...

I still remember my God moment...we were leaving the Grand Canyon at dusk and from somewhere down in the canyon, someone starts playing Amazing Grace on the french horn. I stopped in my tracks and wept. Like you, the vastness of the Grand Canyon had shown me how insignificant I really was to God's beautiful creation...but the strains of this beautiful hymn reminded me how amazing His grace really is and it is for us...a free and priceless gift. To quote someone I know, "ain't He just good!"

have fun! i miss you both!
juju

Anonymous said...

The first person to post-- win the prize?? Love the testimony-- and what a great way to spend the day with the Lord surrounded by His majesty and creation! Have a safe trip to Chicago!!
Jason

Unknown said...

Jed see what happens when you believe. I can't believe you don't have cell phone coverage. Have fun at the game and enjoy the weather. You will soon be back in the SOUTH!

Teresa

Anonymous said...

Hi Jed and Matt! Jason and I have really enjoyed watching your journey around the country and plan on doing this when Andrew is a little older! Stay safe and God Bless!

Kirsten Andreassen-Dean
Macon, GA

Anonymous said...

Bring us some snow back my friend!
Love ya! Christie

Anonymous said...

hey brother im sorry i didnt answer i was on my morning walk i saw the picture of the bear it sounds like you are still having a great time i love you i miss you mama

Anonymous said...

hey brother im sorry i didnt answer i was on my morning walk i saw the picture of the bear it sounds like you are still having a great time i love you i miss you mama

DADDY said...

Please enter me in the Chicago Prize

Anonymous said...

Hey Jed, that song is one of my favorites and how appropriate. How Great Thou Art is another one when that comes to mind when I am out in His creation. The bear is a great addition to all that was surrounding you. Isn't God good!? It's good to hear how great you all are doing - have fun at the game and get something good for the Chicago give-away - Amy Gans

Barbara Hoffman said...

Love keeping up with the trip. I laughed so hard I almost peed my pants at the videon from Circus Circus....Hope you have a safe trip the rest of the way... I am crossing my fingers for the Chicago prize... maybe I better cross my toes too... I am sure you will reach 30 no problem.
Barbara Hoffman

Katie said...

Jed, I have enjoyed reading about your travels. I hope you get 30 comments.

Megie said...

Hey guys- Just checking in before we call it a night.

I just love having those "special" moments with the Lord. You know how I am about my front porch and I have had many of those moments just sitting quietly on my front porch looking out at the trees that surround our place and then up at the beautiful skies. I also love thunderstorms but, there hasn't been much rain to speak of.

Anyway, I'm glad that you're safe and sound. Have a great time at the Rockies game.

This will be my last entry for awhile. We're getting ready for the 4th and my Mom's b'day celebration. Also, Sissy Wall comes home tomorrow night! I have missed her so! Also we leave for the beach on the 5th for two weeks so, we're getting things ready for that too.

I love you guys and I'll check back in when we get home.

Safe travels and have a great 4th.

Summer said...

Glad you guys are having such a good time. Drive safely!

Rhonda said...

Hey Jed...Hope you two have a great fourth tomorrow!

allisonnewman said...

That was a pretty big bear!! Not to long ago we had one running around Lexington. People were sending in videos to the local news station. Pretty wild!

Chris said...

guess I'm out of the running for the Chicago prize since I won the Yellowstone prize already :-)

Anonymous said...

I had my moment with the Lord when I was at the Navaho Arch in Monument Valley. It's a wonderful world He has made for us. Prize did you say PRIZE! Yea..JoAnn

mylifewith5kids said...

I have really enjoyed taking this trip with you!!! I so hope to take it with my family someday!! What an awesome experience it would be!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're having such a good trip. I'm really enjoying the virtual ride with you. I had a couple of God moments earlier this week right here in Sptbg. He reminded me that I'm not in control and that He will get me through the hard times. Not a lot of fun, but a good reminder! I hope you get to 30 comments--I've done my part. Now enter me for that fabulous prize!
Melissa Parris

Anonymous said...

Jed,

Enjoy Chicago and the Segway tour...I did one a few weeks ago in DC....it was called Segs in the City! It was definitely very fun....Enjoy the last few days of your trip.

Frankie

Carmen O. said...

It sounds like this was the most beautiful part of your trip. Loved seeing the bear photo. Will you really scrapbook this whole trip and will it be paper or digi?

Carmen from Toledo, OH :)

KJA said...

Ok here's to 30 comments. We are in Charleston this weekend and I'm reading from my bro's comp. I think I need some corn husks.

Copeland's said...

# 25 ~~ Jed & Matt,
Driving home - don't have a 'heavy foot.' It is soooo easy to 'speed' the closer home you get - kinda like getting old and feel 'closer' Home ... or a roll of tissue paper, the closer to the end, the faster it goes ... or a wheel, over the hill.... SO slow down and get home safe.

Great trip - You should feel so proud & Blessed!!! We do & are.

j&l copeland

Lori Turner said...

My husband and I enjoy reading your blog. We are lurkers :-) I ran across your blog back in February when you took out Susan for the Valentines Date. I grew up in a church with Susan and Steve Dyer so got your blog info through her blog. We have enjoyed the cross country tour. You have seen some amazing things, thanks for sharing. I pray that you guys will have a safe trip home. God bless you. Robert and Lori

Karen @Snakes-Snails-Puppydogtails said...

Late as usual... thanks for extending the sign up just for me:) What amazing memories you are making!

Anonymous said...

It has been a lot of fun watching the blog and reading of yalls awesome trip !! I would like to see the goofy video's but more- I would like to see one of you on a segway.. Im sure Lulu would too !! He has been laughing at all the funnies and enjoying seeing all the sights/ Pic's. As we all have-

Yall have a safe trip home !!

Lulus' Dad.

Emily Jennings said...

We were just gone for less than a week, had a GREAT time but it was SO nice to come home. I know you all will feel the same!

Stephen and Laura Timmons said...

Hey, sorry I missed a few days, we went to the beach for the weekend. But now I'm all caught up and can't wait to read more about the trip. I'm glad yall are at home and safe!

Kimberly said...

Cool! Am I #30?? I am glad to see that you are home! I bet you are exhausted and full of information and awesome memories. Thanks for letting us all see how beautiful America really is and how lucky we are to live here. Welcome Home!

The Sumerels said...

Hey Jed! I thought that I commented, but I don't see my message. I am so glad you guys are hada great time. Enjoy your summer.

Emily Jennings said...

Don't know if I'm too late, but I tried to comment and this gray box wouldn't get out of the way. Glad you guys are home and safe.

Barbara Hoffman said...

oh wait .,.. i commented on the 19th day i think,,,, add me in to the drawing... i want to win!!