Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Name That Toe

A great friend of mine has told me more than once that I am the happiest person she knows. When she says it, I take it as the best compliment. I then chuckle inside because I know how "un" happy I can get sometimes... I get made when the underdog is mistreated... Lord help me if there is an injustice occurring and I am nearby... And just forget it if someone is being disrespectful to a service employee at a restaurant.

That said though, most of the time I am a happy person. I enjoy life. I am alive, life is short, and I don't want to waste one moment of it in a toxic waste dump. I am learning more and more everyday how to take the lemons and squeeeeeeze the heck out of them to make that ever so sweet lemonade! It hasn't always been that way for me, but the older I get the easier and much more necessary it becomes.

Take this toe for example...

To you this may look like the toe of someone who is a few fries short of a happy meal. It may appear that I was entertaining myself in the Podiatrist office. It may even seem like I was creating friend for conversation. Regretfully, these stories are not the truth.

True story... I am trying to make the best of a bad situation. As a result of the marathon on Saturday I experienced what is known as a Subungual Hematoma... AKA: Runner's Toe. Calm down. It's nothing major. It sounds horrific, but it is basically just a bruise under the toenail from the constant pounding while running. They usually heal on their own, but often times the toenail is lost. You can't really tell from this picture because he just got out of an hour long Epsom Salt bath, but the nail is very dark in color; a brownish blackish color.

It wasn't hurting too badly, until a kid slammed his foot down on it today at recess. He didn't mean to, but it hurt so bad it brought tears to my eyes. I have never had to restrain my words quite like I did at that moment. Thankfully the salt bath did him well, but he is still a goner in a few days.

To make the best of this bad situation, and to continue to be a happy person, I decided to draw a face on the toenail for his last few days with me... The only thing is... I needed help naming him. Any ideas?

Here's to lemonade!

No comments: