Saturday, April 23, 2011

How Great Thou Art

If you were like me, and missed this performance last night, you owe it to yourself this weekend of all weekends, to stop for just a minute and listen. I am overwhelmed with its power even as I type and listen to it for about the 5th time today.



WOW right? Probably my all time favorite hymn of the faith. It was the first real song I learned to play on the piano, and I remember my Granddaddy singing it when I was little.

I heard about this last night almost instantly after she sang because of Facebook and Twitter. There were lots of people posting about how they were moved to tears, and that they could feel the Spirit of the Lord move through Carrie Underwood as she sang. When you watch the video, if you are a believer, there is no doubt that the Lord himself sat down right in the middle of Vegas last night as she sang. I could not help but think about how pleased He really must have been. Just think... It is the weekend when we celebrate His resurrection, everyone has Easter on their brain, and there right in the middle of what is known as "sin city," a little, ok BIG, country girl, sang all about Him before the entire country. WOW! That was huge!

Sadly though, there were lots of comments on various statuses and tweets regarding the "showiness," the "sinners" who were singing, etc. etc. Someone even started listing the transgressions of those who sang and were in the audience. Those comments grieved me. We believers should celebrate anytime our God is lifted so high.

Last time I checked, I was a sinner, and I play the trumpet for His glory every week. Does that make me unfit to be there? That's the beauty of Him, and ALL that is this weekend... His Grace, Mercy, and Forgiveness covers ALL of those who call on Him, not just those who "have it all together." If these shouldn't sing about him, then neither should anyone else. We are all a mes when compared to Him.

The Apostle Paul, the epitome of Christian living said this about himself in his letter to Timothy..

"Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst."


This weekend, reflect on what His death, burial, and resurrection really mean... Had it not been... You would not be.

No comments: