Yesterday I did something I NEVER EVER thought I would do. I officially put my name in the lottery for the 2011 NYC Marathon. It is a total luck of the draw out of tens of thousands of people, but I figured what the heck right? I have as good a shot as anyone else. It costs 11 dollars just to put your name in the hat. I cannot tell you how ecstatic I will be if I get chosen. The thought of actually running in this historic race is overwhelming to me. If you want to learn a bit more about the NYC Marathon visit their site here.
For those of you who won't go to the site, here a few facts about the NYC Marathon that you may find interesting:
1. There are more than 40,000 runners each year!
2. Over 2 million spectators line the race route. (WOW!!! That would be amazing to run in!!!)
3. David Lee Roth, Meredith Baxter, Al Roker, Meredith Vieira, Mike Huckabee, Katie Holmes, and P. Diddy are just a few of the celebrities who have run the NYC Marathon.
4. In 2008, 2 men died just moments after crossing the finish line.
5. In 1977 an 8 year old boy, Wesley Paul, ran the marathon in 3 hours 37 seconds!!!
6. At the first race in 1970 the winners received wristwatches. Today they receive about $$130,000.
7. Runners drink more than 100,000 gallons of water and Gatorade during the race.
8. 5 tons of ice are available during race time to treat injuries.
9. There is a soon to be 33 year old male from SC who is anxiously awaiting to see if his name will be pulled to run this fall! Wish me luck!