Tuesday, March 1, 2011

19 Days Til The Marathon

One year ago today, I became a runner!

I didn't really know when I set out on that pre-spring day, in my New Balance tennis shoes (not good for running!) for my 2 mile trek, that the distance I traveled that day would be the first of a thousand plus miles I would run in the upcoming year. I honestly thought that I may get ready for my first 5k ever at my church, and then fall away from it...but today, I cannot imagine life without running!

I have never been athletic other than my humiliating and paternal pushing into little league baseball in the 5th grade. There was a girl on the team, and she outplayed me by a long shot. Being out played by a girl is not very good for a sports shy preteen boy who leaned to the arts. It was downright detrimental if you want the truth. I cried almost everyday on the way to practice because I just didn't want to suffer through the embarrassment of not being able to hit, catch, throw....Pretty much any skill required to play baseball was left out of me when the Big Guy was knitting me together in my mother's womb.

Now here I am, on the verge of being 33, and just a mere 20 days from my first marathon. I have so many thoughts, fears, and emotions about the upcoming feat on March 20th. Over the next 20 days running will consume my blog just as it has consumed me for the past year. I will write all about my journey to this point: the training, the pain, the mocking from strangers, friends, and family... I will share it all because I know that somewhere out there someone is thinking, "Man, I wish... but I could never do that!" I will be here to tell you for the next 20 days that IF I CAN DO IT, YOU CAN DO IT!!

Stay Tuned...

No comments: