When you are running long distances, training for a marathon, like I am lately, you have a lot of time to think and ponder life... Sometimes just the run itself provides you with some life lessons that are comical, serious, and just down right invaluable. For those of you who will never run 5 miles, much less 20, let me share a few of the lessons with you.
1. If you pass a potty, stop and go... There might not be another one for a longgggggg time!
2. If it looks like dog poo, and smells like dog poo.... IT AINT MUD!
3. If it's cloudy... There could be rain, dress appropriately!
4. If you feel a tiny pebble in your shoe take the time to stop and get it out. Your foot is not an oyster and there won't be a pearl in there when you get done moving!
5. Look both ways before you cross the street. Don't depend on the little white dude on the blinking sign!
6. The road is not always flat... Learn to manage the hills or find a different route!
7. Go against the traffic...your face is prettier than your behind!
8. When the signs say detour, closed, turn around, danger... They are there for a reason. DON'T IGNORE THEM!
9. Always wave and smile at people you pass... You might need them somewhere along the journey.
10. Getting in a hurry only causes you to wear out faster...Slow down and enjoy the ride!