Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Don't Miss The Moment

I am still riding high after my race Sunday. It will definitely go down as 1 of the top 10 days in my life so far. Finishing a race like that is so exhilarating, especially when you are breaking your own personal records on every mile.

For me though, NONE of this started in an effort to be fast. It all started because I wanted to be healthy. Over a year ago when the blood work came back bad, I knew I had to change my life. I knew it could not just be about food, but about a new mind, body, and spirit.

At the beginning of the race all of the fears, battles, pains, and worry I had carried around over the last year of this transformation came together and my emotions and tears flowed out.

It began when I was walking to the starting line and I heard a little 4 year old girl yelling, "Go mommy Go, Go mommy Go." It was such a sweet, innocent, heart felt sound. The tears crept to the corners of my eyes, but did not roll out.

As I stood there waiting to start my own run, the group of wheelchair racers began. I was so inspired...the tears sneaked out of the corners and made my eyes good and moist.

When they sounded the gun to begin the race, the tears all of sudden started to flow...My time to run this thing was finally here.. Was I really doing this I thought.

As I got to about 1.75 miles I was at the top of a tall bridge looking toward the ocean with the sun rising over the water when the song You Are Good, by Kari Jobe came on my iPod. It was the only slow song I put on my playlist because it is my favorite! I am so glad I put that one on there. The Lord in His sovereignty made it play at that moment. It was a moment I will never forget. I was so overwhelmed with His goodness, His grace, His mercy, His strength, His faithfulness, His enduring and never ending love. Needless to say I was at this moment, I became a mess!!! The Lord met me right there on that bridge, in the middle of my run, and it was AMAZING!

As I came down the bridge to mile 2 there was my mom, my sister, my brother-in-law, and roommate screaming and cheering me on. The tears continued to flow. The last year would not have been possible without them. I was so proud to have them there with me!!!

Once I moved past them, I had a talk with myself, got focused, stopped the crying, and ran like Forrest!!!!

As I shared this story with a very wise friend of mine, he asked me..."Aren't you glad you were not so wrapped in the run and race, that you did not miss that moment?"

Without question, Yes... I was, am, and always will be glad that I did not miss that moment.

Ain't He just good!

No comments: