Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Dear Negative Nancy

Since last November when I started my weight loss journey it seems that everyone has felt compelled to offer me their advice... Eat this, not that...Eat here, not there.

As I started to lose the weight they continued to offer their unsolicited opinions regarding my clothing...That's too baggy, that's too loose... and now that I have lost a WHOPPING 70 pounds, they continue to freely give their opinions regarding my appearance... You are too skinny, you're anorexic, you look like a teenager, you're gaunt.

While I appreciate people feeling comfortable enough with me to be honest, I want to encourage all of you who know someone who has lost a lot of weight to be VERY careful what you say and how you say it.

When someone calls you skinny its one thing, (something I have longed to hear by the way!!!) but when someone refers to you as gaunt, anorexic, or scrawny, you might as well just drive the stake in them. Those words are hurtful... They are degrading... They are the "thin" equivalents to their obese counterparts such as fatty, porker, and tub of lard... I am hopeful that none of us would ever be so audacious to call those names to someone who struggles with weight. That said, be careful of what you call those who are thin.

I have struggled with weight my whole entire life. I have always been the pudgy one and I finally, thanks to the Dr., got motivated and changed my life, and probably added some years to it. I would hope that the naysayers, the skinny haters, and the opinion givers would turn their jeers into cheers and encourage me as I continue on this journey.

Thankfully, there is only a small handful of people who have been unintentionally hurtful, most of my friends and family have been overwhelmingly supportive. However, it only takes one bad apple to spoil the whole bunch. From here on out I am tuning the Negative Nancys out.

No comments: