Sunday, June 29, 2008

Day 14 & 15: Ogden, UT to Jackson Hole, WY and West Yellowstone, MT

On Thursday morning Matt and I headed out around 9 o'clock on I-15 north out of Ogden, UT... Within the hour we were crossing the boarder to yet another state.... Who in the world goes to Idaho???  All we saw there was field after field of potatoes...but Hey, I can say I've been there... Can you??


Not long into Idaho we headed over Highway 31, a scenic drop into Jackson Hole, WY.... This was an amazing drive.... The sites were incredible!!!

Below is a place called Caribou National Forest.... No, we didn't see any caribou, but we did go offroading a bit and found this great shot of the river, and a nice hidden waterfall!



After a few miles up 31 the boarded to Wyoming came.... Notice that I am pretending to ride the rail like the cowboy on the sign.... YEEEE HAW!!!!


We again went off down this old dirt road and to our surprise we saw this baby moose and its brother drinking in the creek below... We never saw the mama but we were sure she was near by!!


The most amazing part of this ride was that we were high enough in elevation to see snow... Check out the pic and video below.


Who would have thought.... snow in June???

 

After playing in the snow, it was just a quick drop down the mountain and we were in Jackson Hole.... Below is a pic of Matt in the town square.... Each corner of the square has these antler arches that make entry ways into the park.... I instantly fell in love with this town... If I ever decide to move from Spartanburg.... Here is where I'll be!!!


A stuffed buffalo outside one of the downtown shops.


Apparently this is a world famous bar right here... Thought I should take a pic!


After we hung out in town for a while we had to report to the rafting office for our over night rafting adventure down the Snake River...


We hopped in a van and rode with the other 5 rafters down stream to our "put in." This is our guide and boat... The first half of the ride was a scenic float...




After about a 2 hours float we arrived at our camp for the night..... We had been there about 30 minutes and this mule deer walked right up into camp and stood outside our tent. The camp area was great... There was a cook who had dinner ready when we got there... The only problem here was that it was SOOOOOOOO COLD!!! 


You can see when it was bed time we were wearing our winter clothes.... The low last night was 38.... After being in the 105+ heat  for the past 2 weeks 38 might as well have been below zero!!!!!!! 



Just to make you laugh here are a couple of shots of us when we woke up!!!



Our white water adventure began after a pancake and sausage breakfast.... The water as about 50 degrees... The guide said the river was WAY faster and higher than normal. What was supposed to be Level 2 rapids were more like 3 and 4... It was an adventure to say the least.. I LOVED IT.... Thankfully no one in our boat flipped out... The boat right in front of us did flip though.... I can only imagine what kind of stories those people are telling tonight!!

After the rafting we headed north into Grand Teton National Park. 


Some shots of us goofing around at the visitor's center.



The scenery here was UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!  These moments are so much bigger, higher, and prettier than any picture can do justice.... This is the best shot of the trip so far.... Thomas, This is what I was looking at when we were talking!!!


Shortly into the park you can ride a boat across Jenny Lake to a hiking trail at the base of the mountains.


When we got to the other side we hiked to an area known as Hidden Falls.... The water falls there were amazing... We did a video at one of them... Enjoy!!!





On the way back down we did have a tragedy... My flip flop broke... I know I know.... I should not have had flops on for a hike... but when we got on the boat to cross Jenny Lake we didn't really know what was on the other side 'til we got there.... Anyway... have you ever tried to hike with a broke flop... It's pretty near to impossible... but i made i back to the car...


After another 2 hours of driving, we finally made it to West Yellowstone, MT... This is a great little town just outside the west entrance to Yellowstone Park.... We came through there on the way up and man is it pretty.... Tomorrow we are gonna spend the day out and about and I am sure I will have TONS of pics!!!!!



Day 14 Stats:
Drive Time: 4.5 hrs
Mileage: about 300 miles
Gas: $3.99 a gallon in Ogden, UT

Day 15 Stats:
Drive Time: 3 hrs
Mileage: about 150 miles
Gas: $3.99 a gallon in Jackson Hole, WY

PS..... I am OVERWHELMED by the number of comments posted to yesterdays blog... That's an all time record.... I decide I am gonna video the drawing for the Yellowstone prize.. It's not too late to comment on yesterdays blog if you want to be in the drawing... There are a few people who i think are missing.... Emily, Jen, Teri....etc... Where are you guys??? Don't miss the drawing!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good morning from Seneca, SC.
I am friends with Matt & his family - and enjoy reading about your adventures.
Today - Sun. - is gonna be the greatest of all - inside Yellowstone, doesn't get much better that that!!! Enjoy every view - Chance of a Lifetime!!
l copeland

Unknown said...

OK!!! I don't want to hear any more about 38 degrees and snow. Here it is 97 and more sunshine. Do you know that that does to a woman with hot flashes?? It means the indoors and plenty of ice water so enjoy the cool and have fun at Yellowstone. Can't wait to see what happens t you guys there.

Teresa

Emily Jennings said...

Seriously, some of my favorite places EVERY! Tetons are my dad's hands down fav. I'm pretty jealous.

jkstrib said...

I knew you would love the antlers!! I am like you, Jackson Hole is one of my favorite places to visit. The scenery is so amazing. We went down the river with the same company. I am glad no one fell out. Yellowstone will be amazing too! Glad you are having fun. I missed you guys today at church. Be careful and quit climbing on the rocks!

Megie said...

Hey Huck- All I want to know is.., did you have ketchup with your Idaho taters?

I couldn't get either video to work but, that's probably just my incompetence.

The pictures are breath taking, I can only imagine actually being there and seeing God's beautiful creation. incredible!

Huck, I do hope you packed another pair of flops, bless your heart. Well, I'm on to your next posting and then to visit Mattie's (Tom).

Love you-
Megie